Success in Business
What does it mean to truly succeed in business? What’s your definition? Is it merely starting, owning and/or doing a job that you love? Is it working independently with work/life balance and making a living at it? Is success in business, to you, making lots of money with the work you do and providing present and future security? Perhaps, success in business to you is owning a market or inventing a new product or service that no one has ever heard of. Or, is it simply being happy and content with what you do and/or are ‘good at.’
Success in business comes in many forms and can be viewed differently by various business professionals. It’s quite interesting to look at peers and wonder if they are successful in their business with the various measurements we place on our own success.
Following are some quotes from famous and not-so-famous business and other professionals who have either made an impact in their business or simply consider themselves, successful. It’s not an exhaustive account of the term, but nonetheless, should provide for great reading and learning:
- Richard Branson, Virgin Group Entrepreneur in “Five Secrets to Business Success” (Entrepreneur, Sept 9, 2010) suggests the following: Enjoy what you are doing. Create something that stands out. Create something that everyone that works for you is really proud of. Be a good leader. Be visable.
- “If you don’t have a competitive advantage, don’t compete.” Jack Welch
- “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.” Maya Angelou
- “If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of this second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.” Thomas J. Watson
- “Let no feeling of discouragement prey upon you, and in the end you are sure to succeed.” Abraham Lincoln
- “It doesn’t matter how many times you fail. It doesn’t matter how many times you almost get it right. No one is going to know or care about your failures, and neither should you. All you have to do is learn from them and those around you because… All that matters in business is that you get it right once. Then everyone can tell you how lucky you are.” Mark Cuban
- “Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.” Ben Franklin
- “You must be very patient, very persistent. The world isn’t going to shower gold coins on you just because you have a good idea. You’re going to have to work like crazy to bring that idea to the attention of people. They’re not going to buy it unless they know about it.” Herb Keller
- “Don’t spend so much time trying to choose the perfect opportunity, that you miss the right opportunity.” Michael Dell
- “I never thought I’d be successful. It seems in my own mind that in everything I’ve undertaken I’ve never quite made the mark. But I’ve always been able to put disappointments aside. Success isn’t about the end result; it’s about what you learn along the way.” Vera Wang:
- “For whatsoever thy hands find to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom in the grave.” Ecclesiastes 9: 10
- “Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can’t lose.” Bill Gates
- “The most important aspect of my personality as far as determining my success goes; has been my questioning conventional wisdom, doubting experts and questioning authority. While that can be painful in your relationships with your parents and teachers, it’s enormously useful in life.” Larry Ellison
- “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice; and most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” Steve Jobs
- “The more you loose yourself in something bigger than yourself, the more energy you will have.” Norman Vincent Peale
- “Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals.” Jim Rohn
- “Change with your business or be left behind. “It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” Charles Darwin
- “Success comes when everyone profits. “I have found no greater satisfaction than achieving success through honest dealing and strict adherence to the view that, for you to gain, those you deal with should gain as well.” Alan Greenspan.
- “Luck and timing will ensure success, so be prepared for luck. “I feel that luck is preparation meeting opportunity.” Oprah Winfrey
- “The important thing is not being afraid to take a chance. Remember, the greatest failure is to not try. Once you find something you love to do, be the best at doing it. – Debbi Fields
About the Author
Angelo Biasi is General Manager of SMART Marketing Solutions, LLC, a leading full-service integrated marketing company in Florida and New York since 2001. He has helped create and execute marketing plans and integrated marketing solutions for companies such as Playtex, Bic, Rogaine, Tauck, and over 35 colleges and universities, to name a few. Angelo has an MBA in Marketing from the University of Connecticut and teaches Marketing at New York University where he has for over six years. He has been quoted and/or featured in USA Today, Mobile Marketer magazine, Mobile Commerce Daily, Luxury Marketing magazine, BNET TV and Business Currents magazine, to name a few. For more information or to learn more, email him at abiasismartmarketingllccom (abiasismartmarketingllccom) , visit www.smartmarketingllc.com, call him at 239.963.9396 and follow him on Twitter @angbiasi.